Sackville School

History

Sackville School was formerly Foxbush House which was built in 1866 for Charles Fitch Kemp, a London Chartered Accountant.  His crest appears to the left. The Charing Cross to Tonbridge Railway Line was in the process of construction and the purchase enabled him to continue his London career with his ambition to be a country landowner. Charles played an important role in local affairs, being the first Chairman of the Hildenborough Parish Council.

The first school on the current site was ‘The Convent of Our Lady School’, a girls' convent boarding school, which opened in 1905. During the Second World War, the house was requisitioned as the headquarters of a Royal Artillery Regiment. Then in 1949 St. Thomas Roman Catholic Private School was founded and ran successfully for almost thirty years until 1978 when it was purchased by a number of staff members and re-named Foxbush School. When Foxbush unexpectedly announced its closure in 1987 Mr. Edward Oatley, then Headmaster of Sevenoaks Prep School, was in the throws of starting a new school. This school’s formation was in response to Sevenoaks School becoming co-ed which created a shortage of private school places for boys combined with a need for a non-selective private school in the area. The Hildenborough site was chosen and Sackville School was opened on 3rd October 1987 by Rt Hon. Kenneth Clark MP, the then Minister for Trade and Industry.  A founder parent was Mike Denness, the Kent and England Cricket Captain, who helped design the cricket field.  On the 16th October, 2 weeks after the official opening, Sackville was devastated by the notorious hurricane which hit Southern England.  450 trees were lost and £137,000 of damage caused, however, the School quickly recovered and has since gone from strength to strength. The School became co-educational in 1993 and became part of the Cognita group of schools in November 2006.

In January 2017 ownership of the school transferred to Mr Ali Khan, founder and owner of Alpha Schools.

The School’s 26 acres of grounds are a registered historical park.

 

 

 

 

 

A co-educational School

The School’s 26 acres of grounds are a registered historical park